Round 11 and one day finals round up


A cyclonic century from Sydney Sixes star Nic Maddinson has lifted Easts Dolphins to a quarter-final victory against the top seed Campbelltown-Camden on Sunday. Chasing 264 on a tricky wicket looked a tough assignment for the Dolphins, who had managed to sneak into the limited-overs finals in eighth position. But Maddinson alleviated the scoreboard pressure from the outset, taking 25 runs from the first two overs. The loss of his opening partner Peter Nevill to a scorching catch didn’t perturb Maddinson, as he raced to 50 in just 22 balls. The Dolphins reached 1-100 in the 10th over with the left-hander having scored 80 of them in 32 balls and with 10 fours and 4 sixes to his name. His century came off 48 balls and when he was eventually dismissed for 113 off 56 balls, Easts were 2-145 in the 18th over.


The drastically reduced required run-rate was graciously capitalised on by Angus Robson, who played a smart innings knocking the ball around knowing no major risks were required.

Robson finished unbeaten on 83 and Easts reeled in the target in the 47th over with five wickets to spare. "I felt 264 was always going to be difficult to chase down in a final and require all 50 overs to get them. However, Maddinson had different ideas and was explosive from ball one." Easts captain Greg Clarence said. "It was the most comprehensive and destructive batting display I’ve seen in grade cricket. His innings was complemented superbly by Angus Robson who has been in excellent form and he steered us home."


Earlier, spinner Will Somerville was the pick of the bowers for Easts, taking 2-32 off his 10 overs. Campbelltown were at one stage 2-174 with 14 overs to go, but middle order wickets helped the Dolphins restrict the hosts to an achievable score.


Easts will play Parramatta on February 18 at Old Kings Oval in the Semi-Finals.


On Saturday First Grade suffered a frustrating loss against St George at Waverley and leave themselves with plenty to do to stay in touch with the top six in the Belvidere Cup. On day one, the previous Saturday Easts lost the toss and were sent into bat on a wicket that offered assistance to the seamers and Easts quickly found themselves in trouble at 5/47. Using his wealth of English experience first drop Angus Robson kept the Easts innings alive as he batted into the third session to manufacture 103 not out on a difficult batting wicket. The knock consisted of eight boundaries and consumed 208 deliveries. He received some middle order support from Jack Preddey (31) and Sam Doggett (28) as Easts were bowled out in the final session for 207. In reply Easts snared two wickets to have the game in the balance at 2/35, but some loose bowling heading towards stumps had the Saints in front at 2/79.


Day two produced two early wickets to have the visitors 4/87 and again the match was on an even keel, but mid match replacements for the Saints which included NSW players Kurtis Patterson and Moises Henriques made it a bigger challenge to break through the very strong St George middle Order. Victory was ensured for the Saints via a 196 run fifth wicket partnership as the visitors declared at 5/302. Sam Doggett toiled hard to return the figures of 2/40. Easts batted again and fell to 3/56 before time was called in the last session.


The result drops Easts back to 9th spot, but still only two points from the top six.


Second Grade travelled to Harold Fraser to take on St George and after winning the toss had no hesitation in batting on a flat wicket. The Dolphins made no mistake in taking advantage of the conditions as they moved through to 1/185 and then 2/250 off the back of a maiden Grade ton to Harry Byrnes Howe who yielded 126 runs off 205 balls. In just his eighth match for Easts, Byrnes Howe hit eight boundaries and six sixes on a ground with a very slow outfield. He was ably supported by Bruno Broughton who made 59 in a 125 run second wicket partnership and Will Simpson who made 50 before being run out for the fourth time this season. Easts eventually declared at 5/325 and had nine overs at the home side before stumps.


Day two provided conditions that gave a more advantage to the bowlers than what day one did, and Easts capitalised to take two early wickets to have the Saints reeling at 2/40. When Matt Sarkies was introduced into the attack, the home sides run chase evaporated rapidly as Sarkies returned the remarkable figures on 7/38 which was split into two spells either side of lunch. Sarkies manufactured four of his wickets through catches behind the wicket off 16.3 overs which included four maidens. He was backed up by youngster Campbell Pert who took 2/22 in his Second Grade debut. Easts bowled the Saints out for 109 and asked the home side to bat again.


The second innings lasted 22 overs as the likelihood of taking another nine wickets became remote after tea and time was called. Easts still have a slight chance of securing a finals spot if their winning momentum continues.


Third Grade produced a clinical and much needed win at Trumper to stay in touch with the top six. On day one, Easts won their first toss of the season and had no hesitation in batting and quickly found themselves in trouble at 3/15, but a 85 run fifth wicket partnership helped resurrect the Dolphins innings. Mark Morley (82) and Udit Mehta (55) produced knocks which became the back bone of the Dolphins innings. When Mehta was dismissed, the Easts middle order produced crucial minor partnerships to help build the innings to 251 as the Dolphins were bowled out with three overs remaining in the day. St George moved to 0/15 at the conclusion of play.


On day two the Easts seamers were on song dismantling the visitors batting line up taking 9/39 leaving the Saints in immense trouble at 9/54 before a minor last wicket partnership only stalled the inevitable as St George were eventually bowled out for 84. Jameson Coutts returned the figures of 5/30 off 12 overs in his return match to Third Grade, while Angus Palmer collected 3/18 off 13 overs. Easts didn’t miss a beat behind the wicket taking five catches in the slips and one by the keeper, with Mark Morley claiming four catches at first slip. Easts asked St George to bat again. With only 18 overs remaining in the day and the visitors 2/77 in their second dig, time was called.


Fourth Grade had a dominant win at Olds Park after compiling a large total on day one. Winning the toss Easts batted and found themselves in trouble at 3/39, but in the midday sun, the wicket quickly flattened out and Darcy Matthews took control as he plundered his third ton of the season. Matthews combined with Kirk Rimmer (57) for a 166 run third wicket partnership. Matthews innings consisted of 15 boundaries and when he was finally dismissed at 4/221, he had made 131 of his teams contribution at exactly a run a ball. Sam Powell (57no) and Dan Donato (36no) took advantage of the tiring bowlers to lift Easts total to 5/321 when the declaration was made. Steve Lewis claimed the only wicket to fall before stumps to leave the home side with work to do on day two.


On the second day, the Saints innings never really threatened Easts total as the visitors kept picking up regular wickets. St George went to tea at 6/115 and the outcome after tea was inevitable as wickets were shared around with Alex Sidhu claiming 3/41, while fellow leg spinner Tim Brown picked up 2/39. Dan Donato (2/36) and Sam Powell (2/9) were the other key wicket takers as Easts dismissed the home side for 153. Easts asked St George to bat again and after only 11 overs time was called.


Fifth Grade were at home to St George at Snape Park and after losing the toss found themselves in the field. Easts bowlers gave nothing away on a ground with a thick outfield as they dismissed the Saints for 82 in 59 overs. Naveed Chowdhury (4/14) and Luke Course (3/17) did the damage. In reply the two Easts openers were cautious through the 19 overs they faced moving slowly to 0/16 at stumps.


On day two Easts batsmen showed more intent and quickly surpassed the Saints score for the loss of only two wickets. Terry Mystakas was instrumental in moving the innings into higher gears as he finished 62no. Mystakas was well supported by Alex van Vugt who made 38. Easts declared at 3/145 and sent St George back into bat. Easts claimed 5/59 in 40 overs, but with overs running out, time was called and the Dolphins had to settle for six points. The win keeps them just within touch of the top six with all remaining matches crucial to their finals hopes.


Easts are well placed on the Metro Cup ladder after a nine wicket outright victory over Gordon at Killara Oval. Gordon won the toss and elected to bat and quickly found themselves shot out within 31 overs for a paltry 85. Corey de Wit (4/22), Robbie Ensor (3/9) and Satish Kala (3/6) were the chief destroyers. In reply Easts attained first innings points before stumps on day one and built a 55 run first innings lead as the Dolphins were bowled out for 140 on day two. Shreyan Deshpende top scored with 28.


Gordons second innings lasted two ball less than their first as they were bowled out for 64. Corey de Wit was again in the wickets claiming 3/14 with Josh James taking 2/16. Easts only needed 4 overs to knock off the required 11 runs and in doing so acquired the maximum points on offer. The win has the Dolphins entrenched in the top four with four rounds remaining.

Interested in sponsoring Easts Cricket Club?

Contact our Sponsorship Manager TODAY - A wide range of affordable, tailored packages are available.

Get in touch with us now


Annual Report




More information